James 1:19-21 shows us that genuine faith produces meekness, controlling how we respond to other people and to the word of God. We are to be "quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger," and to "receive the word." This is a sign of genuine faith, spiritual maturity, proper humility, self-control, and the Spirit's work in our hearts.
Listen to "Cultivating Meekness"
PREPARING TO HEAR
This Sunday's text will be James 1:22-27. Please read the passage and consider the following questions in preparation for Sunday's message:
- How does vs 22 continue the thought of vs 21? What words are repeated?
- Why does vs 23-25 assert it is so important to be "doers of the word?"
- In what way might we deceive ourselves (26)? What is at stake?
- Is "religion" a positive or negative word (26-27)?
- Should we use vs 27 to establish a strict paradigm for Christian living?
Please pray that God would instruct us through His word, leading us to a more faithful walk and a deeper joy in Christ.
PREPARING TO SING
Below are the songs we will be singing together on Sunday, including a NEW song we want you to learn! Use this as a resource to prepare your heart and mind to participate fully with us as we worship God together.