Speaker: JD Summers | Date: April 19, 2020 | Text: James 3:1-12
The tongue is powerful; it can destroy or bring healing. Genuine faith will yield a tongue of blessing, by the reforming work of the Holy Spirit in the life of the believer. James challenges us to beware of hypocrisy in this area, so we must attack this issue at the heart.
- Why is taming the tongue hard for us? What encouragement does the gospel bring?
- What excuses or justifications are often employed to defend sinful speech?
- Which of the practical steps do you need to employ in your life? (confess sin, address the heart, offer yourself to God as instrument for righteousness)
- Praise Christ for his perfectly righteous life in which he never sinned with his words.
- Give thanks that our sins are paid for at the cross and Christ's righteousness is ours through faith.
- Ask for a greater sensitivity to sins of the tongue
- Ask for grace to deal with sins of the heart (anger, bitterness, selfishness, pride)
- Ask for the Spirit's help to grow in self control