This past week we considered the dramatic account of Jacob's arrival in Haran and marriage to Laban's daughters. Jacob, the one-time deceiver, is now the one who tastes the bitter pain of deception. Though he reaps the bitter fruit of the sin he has sown, still God's gracious promise continues and the broken pieces of Jacob's life are used to further God's covenant plans.
Listen to The Deceiver is Deceived.
PREPARING TO HEAR
This week's sermon will be from Genesis 29:31-31:24. Take few minutes this week to read the text and consider these questions:
- What role do human desires play in this drama?
- What are the two sisters ultimately seeking?
- How does the perspective of the two sisters change over time?
- How is God's role portrayed and what difference should that make for us?
- As those who know Christ, how ought the truth of the gospel shape our responses to hurt, exploitation, disappointment, and lack?
Let's pray together that God would reveal the issues in our own hearts and redirect our focus to Christ. Let's pray that the truths prayed and sung and preached would unite us and purify us as we fellowship together at the foot of the cross.
PREPARING TO SING
Below are the songs we will singing together on Sunday. Use this as a resource to learn unfamiliar songs, to meditate on Christ-centered truth throughout the week, and teach your children songs that will fill their minds and shape their hearts.